Medifast Recipes > Desserts > Medifast Apple Swirl Cake Recipe
- Apples (2.0 cup quartered or chopped)
- Sugar (3.0 Tbsp)
- Cinnamon (1.0 tsp)
- Sugar (2.0 cup)
- Cooking Oil (0.25 cup)
- Applesauce Unsweetened (0.75 cup sauce)
- Orange Juice (0.25 cup)
- Vanilla Extract (2.0 tsp)
- White Wheat Flour (All Purpose), Sifted (3.0 cup)
- Baking Powder (Low Sodium) (3.0 tsp)
- Salt (0.5 Tsp)
- Eggs (4.0 egg)
This is a great cinnamon apple swirl cake. It is very moist and has the right amount of sweetness to satisfy your sweet cravings.
- First let’s prepare the apples; here are efficient techniques on preparing apples. Remove the core using an apple corer, sometimes not all seeds are removed since the diameter of the corer is not wide enough, you could use a knife to finish up the job.
- Peel a thin layer of skin using a vegetable peeler or a sharp knife by cutting strips around the apple, start from the stem end and peel down towards the bottom.
- Slice the peeled and cored apples into quarters and place them flat side down. Cut the apple quarters lengthwise into 1/4 inch thick pieces. Turn the pieces so they are stacked on top of each other, parallel to the cutting surface and cut again into 1/4 inch slices.
Dice the apples by cutting the quarter inch thick sections crosswise at 1/4 inch intervals to form 1/4 inch chopped pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine your diced apples with 3 tablespoons sugar and a tablespoon of cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, blend and beat a combination of sugar, 1/4 cup of cooking oil and 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce. Add in the eggs, vanilla and orange juice into the sugar mix.
- Take a separate bowl, put in the flour with the baking powder and salt use a sifter or a fine mesh sieve to shift them together. After sifting together the flour and other ingredients, blend it with the creamed mixture using an electric hand mixer or hand whisk. Beat at high speed for two minutes or until the mixture is smooth.
- Next, prepare a Bundt pan; To limit sticking grease it by spraying some canola or vegetable oil spray, you could also use a pastry brush to spread the grease evenly, dust the pan with flour, tap out excess.
- Pour in one third of the batter into the prepared Bundt Pan and sprinkle with apple and cinnamon mixture, repeat this step and end with a layer of batter on top.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F, when the oven is ready; bake your cake for about 60 minutes. It is a good practice to avoid putting your pan near the sides of the oven, so make sure it is near to center of the oven as possible. To check for doneness, insert a toothpick into the middle of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your apple swirl cake is done!
- Let the cake to cool in the pan for about 10 to 15 minutes; turn onto a serving plate or wire rack and let it cool completely.
Tip: Problems with Cake Sticking To Pan? Get a clean towel and place it on the kitchen sink. Pour a kettle of boiling water over the towel to heat it (let the water to drain out, don’t plug the sink). While still inside the pan, set the cake on the hot towel and leave it for a minute or two, the cake should then turn out easily.
- You could sprinkle the cake with confectioners sugar, or you could make a glaze to pour on top! Enjoy your apple cake!
Pin and Save this Recipe when you're ready!
Nutritional Information for 1 Serving