Medifast Recipes > Soups and drinks > Medifast Chicken And Wild Rice Soup Recipe
- Yellow Onion (1.0 large)
- Carrots - Raw (3.0 medium)
- Celery - Raw (3.0 stalk large)
- Garlic (2.0 clove)
- Italian Parsley (0.25 cup)
- Olive Oil (2.0 tbsp)
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs (16.0 oz)
- Boneless & Skinless Chicken Breasts (16.0 oz)
- Harvest Medley Wild Rice Blend (1.05 cup)
- Chicken Broth Soup (Low Sodium, Canned) (12.0 cup)
Fill up that tummy with this warm creamy hearty chicken wild rice soup and enjoy this satisfying meal.
- Drizzle a generous amount of olive oil in a large pot that is set over medium-high heat. Add tiny bit of garlic to check if the oil is hot enough before cooking the ingredients.
- If it forms little bubbles around it, then it’s ready. Add-in the finely chopped onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Stir it around and cook for about 10 minutes or until the onion is perfectly softened.
- Combine the broth, water, and rice bring just to boiling season it with salt and give it a little stir so the flavors mixed up, taste, re-season if needed. Cover the pot, and readjust the heat to medium low temperature and simmer it for about 25 to 30 minutes until the rice is cooked enough.
- Remove the pot cover, notice that the rice absorbed some of the liquids. Check the rice, you’ll know that the rice is cooked enough when it’s tender and puffy but still has firmness into it.
- Add-in the chicken which has been de-boned, skin is removed and cut in medium dice, then season it with freshly ground pepper. Turn off the heat. Pour it into a small or medium size bowl, sprinkle it with some chopped fresh Italian parsley and it’s ready to serve!
- Facts and Tips:
Unlike the regular rice, wild rice usually requires a little bit more time to cook. Wild rice expands double its original size when it’s cooked.
A cup of uncooked wild rice can yield up to three to four cups when it’s cooked. Before cooking rice, always wash it thoroughly in cold water.
There are a lot of different ways on how to cook wild rice, you can steam it, boil it, bake it, or even microwave it.
To add flavor to it, you can use chicken or beef broth instead of water. Here are some of the techniques how to cook wild rice:
- Steamed wild rice pops more kernels and has very tender texture. To steam wild rice, follow these steps.
First, wash the wild rice thoroughly in cold water, set a medium sauce pan in medium heat. Pour 3 cups of water and a half teaspoon of salt, give it a good stir and put on the lid.
Reduce the heat and simmer, stir it occasionally until the wild rice becomes tender and the kernels pop. This will take about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Take the lid off, check if the wild rice is cooked. If there’s still water in it stir it occasionally and simmer for another five minutes in low heat.
- To those who like their wild rice baked, follow these steps:
Preheat the oven in 350 degrees. In a 2-quart casserole with a tight fitting lid add 1 cup of wild rice.
Boil two cups of water and pour it in the casserole, then season it with salt or you may use a broth to taste. Put the lid on and bake it in the oven for about an hour.
After an hour, check if the rice is cooked. If it’s still difficult to chew or not tender enough, add a little bit water or broth, then cover it again and put it back in the oven for about 30 minutes until you achieve a tender and moist wild rice.
- To cook a wild rice using a microwave, just follow these steps:
In a 2-quart glass or any microwavable container, pour 1 cup of wild rice grains, 3 cups of water and a half teaspoon of salt or broth and give it a good stir and put on the lid then into the microwave. Set the microwave into maximum temperature for 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes, set the microwave into medium heat for another 30 minutes. Let it cool down and then drain the excess liquid. Now you can enjoy you bakes wild rice.
Pin and Save this Recipe when you're ready!
Nutritional Information for 1 Serving